Monday, July 23, 2012

In Praise of Yoga

Grab this related post Widget!
My hips are really, really stiff this morning. Come to think of it, so are my shoulders. Must have gone on another one of those bike rides, right?

Nope. Yesterday I put myself through an intense yoga session, and today I'm really feeling it. Deep muscles I didn't know existed are making their presence known.

I religiously go to the gym three days a week. This has been my routine for years and years. While there I lift the heaviest weights my joints can tolerate. I'm usually a bit sore the following morning, but nothing like this. It's amazing that exercise involving only your own body weight can have such an effect.


Yoga has also been a regular part of my life, and I can't say enough good things about it.

Many people assume chronic pain and limited mobility are unavoidable byproducts of the aging process. This is true if you just let it happen, but yoga is a fun and easy way to fight back.

When I bring up the subject of yoga some folks curiously say, "Oh, I'm too stiff to do that stuff." That's exactly why you should consider giving it a try!

Perhaps when bending forward all you can touch is your knees. Great. Start there. With consistency you'll soon reach your shins, and before you know it you'll be touching those toes.

Cynthia suffered with chronic lower back pain for years. She has been regularly attending yoga classes twice a week plus practicing at home on her own, and I'm thrilled to report (and so is she!) that the pain has completely disappeared.

We all know that classic scenario of an old person falling and breaking a hip. Sometimes this sets off a chain reaction of further complications that forever compromise one's quality of life.

I'm convinced such maladies can be avoided by taking a proactive approach to your health. And there's nothing better than yoga for improving both strength and flexibility.


It's not imperative to make a commitment to attending classes. Some are self-conscious about their lack of fitness and feel exposed in a group setting.

There are tons of books and DVD's that allow you to begin right at home, whenever it's convenient for you.

Start slow and listen to your body. Yoga isn't a competitive sport. It is a wonderful opportunity to quiet your restless mind and improve your overall fitness.

At first you'll find yourself focusing on those stubborn hamstrings that are refusing to cooperate with your diligent efforts to stretch them. As you progress you'll become aware of your entire body as your mind quiets and your consciousness expands.

Doing yoga with a partner brings an additional level of enjoyment. Working together and helping each other can be a meaningful way to deepen your relationship.


Nature is often our greatest teacher. How do you want to feel? Like a supple young sapling that effortlessly bends, or a brittle old twig that easily snaps?

Being a passive bystander of your own life is a sad choice. Regular yoga practice allows you to take some control of your well being. I highly recommend you consider making it a part of your daily routine.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Edd,
Where does Cynthia go for her classes?

Thanks,
Sherry

Edd Staton said...

She practices privately with a close friend.