Saturday, August 17, 2013

Restaurant Riviera (Part 2)

Grab this related post Widget!
In the spirit of the summer movie season I seem to be churning out sequels these days. I forgot to mention an interesting addition to the neighborhood dining scene. It's on a small side street behind our building. The owner has turned the garage of his home into one of those "pop-up" restaurants I've read about in the States. Very progressive.

The menu is centered around pizza and there are no tables. It's all take out. I honestly doubt that the joint will last more than a few months (I've never seen a customer), but I'm sharing the information because of the establishment's intriguing name.

Pretend with me that you are planning to open a restaurant. You know what you want to serve, but you just can't think of what to call the place. Suddenly one night--inspiration! You blurt out, "Honey, I've got it!"

"You've got what?," she asks.

"The name of the restaurant. It just came to me. Ready? What do you think of this? The Three Stooges!!"

Um--seriously? Why would you name a restaurant in Cuenca, Ecuador "The Three Stooges?" Why would you name a restaurant anywhere "The Three Stooges?"

No surprise--the special package deals (like pizza, fries--yes, fries--and a big bottle of soda) are called the Moe, Larry, and Curly.

But this certainly isn't the first time I've seen an oddly named business here. There's a clothing store for small children in our local mall very inappropriately called "Sweet & Sexy."

Kind of makes me feel better about my mangled Spanish.

No comments: