Friday, January 22, 2016

If I Could Turn Back Time

Grab this related post Widget!
I turned 67 today and it's kind of a weird feeling. No, not that I'm getting older. Actually just the opposite. Since we moved to Ecuador over 5 1/2 years ago I believe I look and know I feel younger than when we arrived (the same is true for Cynthia, but it's not her birthday).

Since this development was totally unexpected I've been thinking about how it's been possible to defy the aging process, and three things come to mind. First is our food supply and diet. Due to the temperate equatorial climate Ecuador is blessed with an abundance of fresh fruits and vegetables year round. Not only that, our constitution forbids GMO's, so we don't have apples the size of softballs like in the States.

Processed foods are almost nonexistent here. We prepare all of our meals at home from scratch, and restaurants make everything fresh each day as well. Combine these factors with cows, chickens, and pigs not jacked up with hormones and God knows what else and it's clear our overall diet is vastly superior to what we used to consume.

Second, our fitness has improved drastically. Not owning a car and walking almost everywhere makes exercise a necessary part of daily life. We also make weight training, yoga, and cardio an important part of our schedule. In fact, these activities are the only things that we set aside time for every week in our otherwise spontaneous expat world.

Last but absolutely not least, stress has vanished from our consciousness. Our previous lives had more stress than we realized until we removed ourselves from it, and the period leading up to our arrival here was extremely trying. Our life here is relaxed and carefree, and we've developed extraordinary levels of patience from immersing ourselves in a culture that's just not in much of a hurry to do anything.

So it's amazing to find myself growing older and younger at the same time. Happy Birthday to me!!

6 comments:

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Happy birthday Ed and many blessings! Yes, I would have never thought you would be turning 67.
Que termines tu dia muy bien!

Fabby

izzie11 said...

How wonderful to feel younger even though 5 1/2 years have passed! Happy Birthday and Congratulations!!! I wish that I felt the same, but at 62 and still in the states, I feel my age like never before. Although I eat a clean (whatever that means here) diet and avoid processed foods, I do not have the vitality that I need. Deciding to take my Social Security at age 62 means less money monthly, but if I could relocate to Cuenca, I'd probably be okay as long as I supplement my income with my modest savings.

I know you are so glad that you and your wife now live in such a wonderful place and I'm sure you wish you'd done it sooner.

Enjoy every day, especially your Birthday!!

Divinely Designed said...

Happy Birthday. My turn is coming in April. Enjoy it.

Edd Staton said...

Thanks for the birthday wishes. Izzie, I have no such wish. I believe everything happens when it is supposed to. Remember "Back to the Future?" Had we come to Ecuador at another time the outcome would have been entirely different.

Esthela Deleg said...

FELIZ CUMPLEAÑOS. FELICITACIONES POR TODO LO BIEN QUE SE SIENTE Y SE VE. UN ENORME ABRAZO. Y TAMBIÉN PARA SU ESPOSA.

izzie11 said...

Edd, you are absolutely correct! I know things happen exactly as they should. Hopefully the time will be right for me soon to be in Ecuador :) ~~ Patiently waiting ...